Thursday, January 31, 2008

Barkus 2008



The Krewe of Barkus walked through the French Quarter on Sunday afternoon. My cousin and I caught the parade upon a balcony overlooking St. Ann. The theme was Indiana Bones and Raiders of the lost Bark, so we saw rolling balls after Indy-clad anthropologists with whips and wooden arks, weiner dogs dressed as snakes, a turban-wearing chihuahua, and then other spirited costumes not associated with the theme such as MIke the Tiger, Dogs in between hot dog buns with mustard, or with ketchup,craw dogs in a tin vat, and lots of princesses and other pretty dogs. What was bad was that I left Reddy at home for my own selfish reasons. But I will not do that at Barkus 2009, Reddy, I promise. You really missed out.

The first Barkus parade I went to was in Shreveport, actually. Last year, Reddy and I went to the parade finish line along the riverfront with our dog park petition. We got a good number of signatures but it was hard to collect a lot with a dog in one hand and a pen and clipboard in the other with lots of other dogs prancing around in costume. That was a fun and cute parade. But this French Quarter one was HUGE. The procession lasted over two hours!

2 comments:

Robert E Trudeau said...

Yo, Juliana! Tis great to see your blog operating out of the crescent city.

Blanc et Noir had a successful 2nd year parade. A shot of us made the front page of the Times.

is there a dog park in Nola? Are you petitioning?

Movie jobs going well?

RT

Dogblogger said...

I feel so honored that you are the first reader I know of, and the first reader to comment! Thanks for writing,
There are unofficial dog parks sprinkled across the city, I have been told. I visit the levee, which is in my hood, quite often. It is such a great spot to take Reddy. It kind of reminds me of the meadow below Stoner Skateboard park. The only thing missing are the dogs. I think if people just start taking the dogs there, it becomes known as the place to bring your dog. Then a fence is put in place to make it official and safe. And then the people who use it become the stewards and make sure there are poop bags, mulch, and peace throughout the park.

Working on movie now. Its busy here!